Monday, December 9, 2013

Oxblood Sketch


Quick breakfast sketch from a few mornings ago.  Zucchini frittata.  Diamine Oxblood in a Pilot Metro Medium nib. It's easily one of my favorite inks.  The color ranges from that of merlot to recently dried blood depending on the tone of the paper, and thins to a lovely coral hue.  For those that aren't aware, fountain pen ink is extremely water soluble even after it's dried; even moreso than dried watercolor paint.  That's so it doesn't clog the pen.  If I'm doing a painting with a FP ink in more than one pass, the solubility drives me bathouse crazy.  For quick sketches on the go, however, it makes life so much simpler and my travel sketch kit so much smaller!  I can achieve a painted effect simply by swiping a wet Q-tip across an area of hatching.  So simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment