Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Throwing Out Sketchbooks




This is a sketchbook I finished last year.  Should I keep it?  

Serious question.  I always throw out my journals and sketchbooks. I buy the cheapest writing journals I can find because I know they're going to end up in the garbage.  I'm picky about sketchbooks for paper quality, but I still buy them knowing I'm probably going to trash it.  

In 2013, I threw out 15 years' worth of diaries/journals and ~10 years of personal sketchbooks.  I decided that carrying 20lbs of past around with you is dumb, and sacrificed them to the god of the trash chute.  I remember posting about my liberation in a Minimalist facebook group.  My post received an overwhelming response of horror, disbelief, and... my favorite... a chorus of middle aged women saying "you should have kept a few to share with your kids later on."  

Okay, listen up.  1) I am in a committed relationship with the next 20 years of my life.  2) There was nothing in these books that I want to look at again, much less show to the imaginary kids I'm not going to have.  



I have been throwing out my books since.  
I know I should want to keep them, but I don't.  
Okay, so I've kept three sketchbooks from college.  Two are reference books containing class notes and demonstrations, the third is a moleskine I took to Italy when I studied abroad.

I don't think I need to explain why I don't hold onto journals.  Or maybe I do, since aspiring minimalists were shocked that I chucked 'em.  I use journaling as a tool to resolve problems, and I can't think of one single good reason to dedicate space in my home to a list of things that bothered me last year.  My pre-2013 sketchbooks, barring the college stuff, were more or less a diary of low-lights.  Raise your hand if you draw when you're sad.  Keep it raised if looking at those drawings afterward makes you sad. 

As part of my minimalist journey, I made a commitment that I won't hold onto objects with negative associations, including artwork.  I've seen a lot of benefit from this.  Basically, you feel better overall if your home isn't a gallery of negative associations.  Even if you don't consciously realize that the stuff in your house is affecting you emotionally, it is. 



Which brings me to this.  I used this sketchbook from 2013-2015.  I can't decide if I want to keep it or not.  There are some nice breakthrough drawings in here that I care about, like my boats, but there is also some personal content I'd rather be without.  

I'm never going to be one of those artists who has a massive floor to ceiling bookcase full of old sketchbooks lined up neatly with dates on the spines.  I don't think it's necessary to keep every single drawing I do.  My old drawings are not irreplaceable, like a lot of people believe.  I can do another drawing.  In fact, I intend to.  

Maybe I'll keep it for now.  My first boat drawings are in here, and it will be the only past sketchbook I have that isn't school related.  



No comments:

Post a Comment